Friday, December 9, 2016

Pennsylvanina spice chest 9, the secrets within

I have decided to wait with the drawers till I get back home. There is no need to rush the job and make some crappy drawers that I know will annoy me for many years.

But I have completed the interior of the chest, with dividers and a couple of secret compartments.

I can't claim that I have invented those hiding places myself, as they seem to be fairly typical on those spice chests.
The crown moulding hides a secret compartment that is accessible from the back of the chest. You have to remove the lower drawers completely, and inside there is a sliding key that will let the back panel fall down revealing the secret drawer (which I haven't made yet).

The second divider, is loose and on the back there is a small drawer made up of some egg crate joinery. To prevent the divider from breaking, only the front has got the grain running vertically. The main part of the divider has horizontal grain.

My plane is to make a false bottom for the major center drawer too, but I'll have to see about that.

I guess all there is left to do out here is to wrap the piece in some bubble wrap and cardboard and hope for the best when it has to be loaded onto an airplane on its way home.


The inside of the spice chest.

Close up.


Divider with secret drawers.

Back slid down to reveal the secret compartment hidden by the crown moulding.

6 comments:

  1. Looks really good Jonas. The "secret" compartments are a very nice touch. Hope it remains unscathed on the flight home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg

      I will do my best to wrap it up securely, but those baggage handlers have a way of rough handling stuff.
      So I'll keep my fingers crossed.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  2. I think this piece is amazing. And all the secret compartments are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian
      Thanks
      The best part about the secret compartments is that my children really likes those.
      So I'll try to see if I can keep my mouth shut about them. That will also be a test to see if they ever read my blog. If they do, they shouldn't have any problems finding the secrets.
      Cheers
      Jonas

      Delete
  3. Agreed, looks great and the hidden spaces are a lot of fun. The V-shaped grooves make a nice change, may have to try that soon. Thanks for the extra pics, Asger will be proud of you. They really show the nice work on the mouldings and feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jefski
      Thanks
      The V shaped grooves would probably have worked a bit better if the stock had had a bit more uniform thickness, but all in all I think it worked pretty fine. And they work very well if you make a rounded front on the dividers.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete